Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Ruy Lopez

Although a very simple opening in chess, it has been played by grandmasters for hundreds of years. Most notably: Bobby Fischer. The opening starts with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 and black has many choices for a defense.

Examples:
  • Morphy Defence: 3...a6
  • Bird's Defence: 3...Nd4
  • Steinitz Defence: 3...d6
  • Schliemann Defence: 3...f5
  • Classical Defence: 3...Bc5
  • Berlin Defence: 3...Nf6
The main focus for white is to play for a strong center by usually playing c3 and d4 and quick development by castling, with the light-squared bishop ("Ruy bishop") dreaming of his home on c2, supporting the center.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent opening. A personal favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate it. One of my favorites as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for showing me this opening to me. I can't wait to use it on my next opponent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is interesting. I'll try to remember this one next time I play

    ReplyDelete